Wayland-Smith Consulting can assist at every part of your spa’s business journey. Introducing Jennifer Wayland-Smith.
About Jennifer Wayland-Smith
Over 30+ years, Jennifer Wayland-Smith has opened and operated some of the most prestigious spas in the United States. Jennifer has extensive experience in spa and resort pre-opening, spa operations, menu, and product development, and retail buying and merchandising.
Jennifer has also been a Membership Committee chair with ISPA (International SPA Association) and a member of the ISPA Board of Directors. She is currently serving as co-chair of the Speaker Task Force, a group she has been involved with since 2014, and sits on the ISPA Nominations Committee for the 2022 Board of Directors selection process.
Jennifer was part of the pilot program for the Global Wellness Institute’s Mentor Program. She mentored two young spa directors (Costa Rica and Seattle, Washington) that continue to thrive in this exciting industry.
Originally from Oneida, New York, Jennifer grew up in Mexico City, attending university in Texas and now lives in West Irondequoit, New York, a suburb of Rochester. She is fluent in Spanish, enjoys travel, volunteering of her time, photography, puzzles and of course will never turn down an amazing 90-minute massage!
What does Wayland-Smith Consulting do?
Jennifer has worked for a collection of hospitality companies –both global and independent — all of which allowed for a variety of professional experiences. She has been involved in the daily operations, planning and development, construction, opening, and expansion of world-class spas, and now brings her wealth of knowledge and operational experience to you via consulting and business enhancement services.
Jennifer brings an emphasis on daily operations and retail, pre-opening tasks and activities, idea generation, sales, marketing, as well as planning and development. She combines these areas with strong administrative and leadership skills, and thorough knowledge of spa, salon, fitness, and another wellness-related programming.
What products and services does Wayland-Smith Consulting offer?
Does your business need help with spa and wellness facility planning, development, business analysis or something else? Wayland-Smith Consulting can provide solutions and leadership.
For spas, resorts and hotels in-development, ensure a smooth construction and design phase that results in a successful grand opening with:
- spa concept development
- menu of services
- product development
- service pricing
- create signature products & packages
- scheduling of pre-opening training
- budget development
- spa scheduling software
- assist with initial configuration
- testing of system and processes
- coordinate training by vendor
- staffing guidelines
- job descriptions
- pay structure
- assist in interviewing and selection of spa director
- recruitment support
- design & development
- interface with architect, interior designer and project manager
- review floor plans, provide recommendations and feedback
- space planning guidance and feedback
- spa retail services
- space planning
- fixture selection
- initial product selection & purchase
- evaluate current and future vendor relationships
- inventory management
- collaborate on the design and printing of collateral materials
- provide guidance on grand opening and PR event
Is your spa in need of Spa leadership due to a resignation, termination or leave of absence? Allow Jennifer to take the reins for the short-term, better known as “task force.” Wayland-Smith Consulting provides:
- overall spa leadership
- spa payroll submission
- inventory management
- retail merchandising & purchasing
- professional product
- efficient scheduling of spa staff
- ensure maximum revenue opportunities via smart scheduling of service providers
- observe appropriate scheduling of support staff to maintain overall profit margins
- communication with hotel and resort departments
- front desk
- human resources
- food & beverage
- executive team
- expert feedback on current spa operations
- marketing, menu of services, packages
- spa scheduling systems
- processes and guest flow
- standard operating procedures
- revenue maximization
- review and control of expenses (operating supplies & labor)
- operational efficiencies
- tasks related to overall spa operations as requested by the leadership team
Existing Spa Operations Assessment
- review and assessment of overall spa operations
- observe and report findings of successes and areas for improvement
- provide action plan for areas of improvement
- front desk processes & efficiencies
- administrative functions
- retail inventory & purchasing
- menu of services review
- marketing and social media
- secret shopper services
What makes you unique?
Jennifer’s ability to quickly recognize and act upon overall needs as well as her flexibility with scheduling allow her to seamlessly blend in with your existing operation. She understands the complexity of a spa and can be part of the solution from the planning stages of a new spa or work as a task force team member in an existing spa.
Who are some of your past or present projects or clients?
Since Jennifer’s first professional spa experience, she has been developing relationships that have allowed her a variety of spa and hospitality experiences. Notable spa and property openings include:
- Spa Botanico at Dorado Beach, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve in Dorado, Puerto Rico (resort and spa)
- The Spa at The Hotel Hershey in Hershey, Pennsylvania (spa)
- The Spa at Saddlebrook Resort in Tampa, Florida (spa)
She has led the spa teams at Spa at the Del Monte in Pittsford (Rochester), NY; Mandarin Oriental in Atlanta, Georgia; Golden Door Spa at The Boulders in Carefree, Arizona; The Spa at Chateau Elan Winery & Resort in Braselton, Georgia; Spa Internazionale at Fisher Island Club in Miami Beach, Florida; and The Spa at Bally’s Park Place in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Need help with your spa, at any stage of you business journey? Jennifer says:
“Whether your spa is new and opening soon, or an already existing spa, I will evaluate your business needs and provide real-world solutions to improve your overall spa operation. No spa is too big or too small. I look forward to working with you!”
Visit Wayland-Smith Consulting to learn more and get in touch.
Spa Executive is published by Book4Time, the leader in guest management, revenue and mobile solutions for the most exclusive spas, hotels, and resorts around the globe. Learn more at book4time.com